Katie's Story More Stories

More Epilepsy Stories

Katie Woudstra was the original inspiration for Katie's Run, but there are many others living with epilepsy and all of its challenges. Their stories are similar, but different. In most cases, different medications—alone or in combination—are tested until something satisfactory is found. It is a time consuming process with no guarantees of living seizure-free or without side effects.

Clearly, more research needs to be done!


2017 Feature Stories – Dads of Epilepsy

"The hardest part of being a parent is watching your child go through something really tough and not being able to fix it for them."

This year we are following up our mom stories with stories from a dad's perspective. A father's role is the protector of his family, so what is it like when he is unable to protect his child from having seizures? Please take the time to read and share these heartfelt stories from dads of epilepsy.

Continue reading ...

2016 Feature Stories – Moms of Epilepsy

"You learn how long 30 seconds really is when you watch your child have a seizure."

For the Katie's Run 2016 feature story, we will be sharing many stories but with a common theme—stories spoken from a mother's heart about how epilepsy has affected their family, their life, their child. We'll post one story at a time on social media and here on our website beginning in April.

Thanks for reading and please join us in our fight to uncover the brilliance that will cure epilepsy—forever!

Continue reading ...

2015 Feature Story – Sergeant Rob Jamieson

In 1995 I joined the Ontario Provincial Police and was stationed at Dutton Detachment in Southwestern Ontario. In November 1996 I went into work for my regularly scheduled dayshift and remember feeling somewhat confused. I sat down and later woke with what I know now are post-seizure symptoms: confusion, fatigue, my tongue bitten through, and feeling somewhat emotional. Not knowing what had occurred, I went home and continued on with life. On February 22 1997 I had my first witnessed tonic clonic seizure to which I remember waking up with paramedics surrounding me. I had bitten through my tongue again, I was confused, and I was extremely disoriented and fatigued. While the symptoms were the same, my life was about to permanently change.

Continue reading ...

2014 Feature Story – Erin Riviere Lett

Hello. My name is Erin. I am 8 years old. I am in grade 2 in a French immersion class. It's really fun to learn another language. On the weekends, I go to dance classes. I am learning ballet, jazz, and musical theatre. I finished my ski lessons in March and am moving on to level 6 which means I can now ski more runs on the hill than my mom. I am a first year Brownie and I just started basketball too. I love to have sleepovers and have a great group of friends. My best friend is my dog, Charlie! We both love the cottage!

Oh, and for those of you who don't know, I have epilepsy.

Continue reading ...

2013 Feature Story – Emily Hoover

May 2015 – It's hard to believe I have been on this journey for six years, and that this is my third Katie's Run. What's even crazier is that next month, I graduate from high school. I am taking a fifth year to determine my career path, as well as to continue playing rugby. Since I turn eighteen in August, I can no longer use my pediatric neurologist; I have an appointment with an epileptologist in Toronto in March of 2016. Yet I have never felt better. I have the support of my family behind me, as well as that of a boyfriend who treats me like a princess. I was able to write first semester's exams without seizing, something that has never happened before. In fact, I haven't seized since October. This is actually the longest I have ever gone, and it brings a smile to my face every time I say it. I am still working at Shoppers Drug Mart; I am going to be trained to become a supervisor in the coming weeks. I didn't believe it was possible to feel happier than I do right now.

Continue reading ...

Gary Collins – Executive Director, Epilepsy Canada

In 1985, I returned from a long business trip in Dallas. The flight was delayed and I didn't get home until almost 2am ... The Board needed a report ... so I left home around 4am to get downtown, get to my desk and complete my report in time for the Board Meeting which was scheduled for 8:30am.

At around 8am, I finished my report and headed to the printer to retrieve my printed draft. As I approached my desk, I went blank and my legs left me. I awoke moments later, looking at the carpet, unable to put together my name, where I was, what I was doing. To make matters worse, there were several people hovered over me asking me too many questions. My head was bleeding as I apparently hit the corner of the desk on the way down. No one was sure what had happened.

Continue reading ...


Back to Top



Contact us at info@katiesrun.ca